Re: Identifying host OS block size (HP/UX)

From: tmgn <tmgn_at_excite.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 13:59:51 -0400

Kelly,
Although I am not a HP_UX Guy, I would suggest sizing the Oracle DB_BLOCK_SIZE based on the nature of U'r Applications( like OLTP , DSS etc) and not on the OS Block Size.

Most of the Unix Flavours have a Physical Block size of 512 bytes or 1K and Filesystem Block Sizes like 2K,4k,8K etc..

For OLTP applications I would go for 2k or 4K and for DSS 4K or 8K or even 16K...

I would give one more useful tip ...
 Increasing DB_FILE_MULTIBLOCK_READ_COUNT value in U'r Init.ora will simulate a Bigger Block Size by Reading multiple Smaller Oracle Blocks instead of doing multiple Physical Reads !!! This is a much Simpler method to gain Performance boost instead of Recreating the Entire DATABASE for the purpose of Changing the DB_BLOCK_SIZE ....

Hope this helps...

-Thiru