Re: Did anyone try this replication model?

From: Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 09:12:23 -0700

Nice diagram. Every time I tried something like this in Netscape it spat the dummy at me.

Anyway, on to your question. I think the problem you will hit is in what you've called the roll-up databases. If by that you mean the tables in these databases are summary tables of the main databases (i.e. sums, averages, that sort of thing - anything that will make these snapshots complex rather than simple), they can't be updatable. Complex snapshots by definition must be read-only. If you're not really rolling up the data in some way, you can ignore this and the system will work.

The next thing I'd look at is the need to have 3 masters. Anything more than two masters reduces the options you have for conflict resolution. Without understanding the business needs far more than can be outlined in a newsgroup posting, I can't say whether this will cause you problems, but it definitely needs investigating.

Then, start looking at the network. How much data are you transferring? What are the network speeds? Volume test, volume test, volume test.

HTH. Pete

--
Regards

Pete