Re: UTL_FILE : invalid_path error

From: Yuri McPhedran <esiyuri_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 15:33:07 GMT

In article <7n675r$42m$1_at_aklobs.kc.net.nz>,   "Alistair Connor" <alistair_at_webmasters.co.nz> wrote:

> Modifying a package which uses the UTL_FILE package.
> Package runs OK on production machine (O 7.3 on Solaris)
> but on Development box (O 8.0.5 on Linux Redhat 5.1)
> I get invalid_path error every time I try to open a file
> (UTL_FILE.FOPEN)
>
> This happens even when the path is /tmp i.e. it is not a file
> rights issue.
>
> Any clues?

This is almost certainly caused by the fact that you have different entries in the "init.ora" file on the two machines. Check the file on your development machine and you should find one (or more) lines like this:

utl_file_dir = /oracle/file_io

Just copy the lines to the production version of the file (making any changes, obviously) then "bounce" (restart) the production database which will cause the specified directories to become available.

I hope this helps.

Regards
Yuri McPhedran
http://www.QandA.co.uk - the IT agency guide

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Fri Jul 23 1999 - 10:33:07 CDT