Re: configure unix kernel for multiple instances

From: <gsummers_at_nospam.ndsuk.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 11:53:21 GMT

Sean it's probably complaining about the system maximum number of semaphores. This is defined by your line

semsys:seminfo_semmns=200

Oracle is trying to grab a number of semaphores equal to the PROCESSES
parameter defined in your database's initSID.ora file

I'm not too familiar with the Sun environment, so this is the best I can do.

> I have Oracle 8.0.5 running on Sun Intel. With the
> kernel parameters suggested in the install manual, I am able
> to run one instance.
>
> shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=4294967295
> shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1
> shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=100
> shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=10
> semsys:seminfo_semmns=200
> semsys:seminfo_semmni=70
>
> The install manual says that these values are for one
> instance, and if I would like to run more than one, I should
> increase these values.
> When I try to start another instance, I get the following
> error:
>
> "ORA-07279: spc re:semget error, unable to get first
> semaphore set.
> INTEL SVR4 UNIX Error: 28: no space left on device
> additional information: 25
> additional information: 2
> additional information: 27101"
>
> Due to my limited experience with UNIX, I am not sure which
> ones to increase and by how much. I have about 250M of RAM
> and Oracle is the only thing running on the machine. The
> current instance takes up about 5M.
>
> If anyone could give me general guide lines for increasing
> these values for additional instances, or actual values set
> for 2 or more instances, it would help greatly.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sean Leahy
>
> **** Posted from RemarQ - http://www.remarq.com - Discussions Start
Here (tm) ****

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Fri Jul 23 1999 - 06:53:21 CDT