Re: Oracle 8.05 Backing up Datawarehouse

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 12:25:18 +0100

I have often found that large databases used for 'warehouse' purposes end up with a very large section of read-only data. (Typically data ceases to change after it is a few weeks or months old).

If this is the case, you can design the database so that the relevant tablespaces become read only, and need just a single backup after the switch. This reduces the volume of data needed by a hot backup.

Secondly - if you have time to do a cold backup then you must have some time when the database (insert/update) activity is low. This is the point at which to do a hot backup. (BTW - in many cases, a 'data warehouse' suffers a large batch load overnight, and very little change during the day - in these cases there is little problem in doing a hot backup during the working day).

--

Jonathan Lewis