No of extents of Free space making up the tablespace too high

From: Anurag Minocha <anurag_at_synergy-infotech.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 16:32:55 +0530

Hi,

I am using the following query

select tablespace_name, sum(bytes), max(bytes), count(tablespace_name)   2 from dba_free_space
  3 group by tablespace_name
  4 order by tablespace_name;

I get the following results when i run the above query.

TABLESPACE_NAME                SUM(BYTES) MAX(BYTES)
COUNT(TABLESPACE_NAME)
------------------------------ ---------- ----------
----------------------
INDX                              3227648    1884160
42
USR                             252651520  102574080
48

The results of this query tell how much free space is  available within a tablespace (sum), what the size of the largest contiguous extent size is (max), and how many extents of free space make up the tablespace (count). If the number of contiguous blocks is  greater than 10 to 15, you should defragment the tablespace(Can someone tell me why )

.Defragmanting can be done by exporting and importing the tables. I have tried that but it still doesnt work.

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks
anurag

reply at
anurag_at_synergy-infotech.com Received on Fri Jul 23 1999 - 06:02:55 CDT