Re: SQL Exception: Bigger type length than Maximum

From: <dentaku1_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 10:19:06 GMT

I don't have an answer for you, but when I got this message it always turned out that a value (text) was too big for the corresponding datatype.

From your tests:
> The query works fine in SQL Plus & shows that for
> " t1.c1 like 'a%' " number of rows is 43 - works
> " t1.c1 like 'b%' " number of rows is 363 - NO work
> " t1.c1 like 'bxy%' " number of rows is 150 - works
I would say, that there is a row starting with 'b' that can help you find the bug. The third line 'bxy%' shows, that this 'error causing' row starts with b but the second and third character is not an xy. Try to restrict the query step by step til you get a minimal result set. Then study the data and try to find different data (lengths) to other rows that work.

In article <3796951B.D609D881_at_ix.netcom.com>,   amitp_at_ix.netcom.com wrote:
> --------------A7F18D4EDA9D2E5B69268461
>
> Solaris 2.5, Oracle 7.x, Oracle JDBC Thin (Type 4),
> Netscape 3.5.1 web server (non-issue)
> Java servlet (JRunPro 2.2.x) (non-issue)
>
> I'm running a single query in the servlet that looks something
> like:
>
> "select c1,c2,...,c22
> from t1,t2,t3,t4
> where <a bunch of joins using t1,t2,t3,t4)
> and t1.c1 like 'a%'
>
> I use the OracleStatement class to define types of the
> columns (they are all VARCHAR2(255)) upfront, to avoid 2
> roundtrips to the database.
>
> Query runs fine & ResultSet object has a complete set of
> results only if the number of rows is less than 180.
> I keep a count of the number of rows (rows are appended into a
> string buffer) & diplay the count value in the catch block.
>
> If the number of rows exceeds 180, (ie. if I change the
> where clause & use " t1.c1 like 'b%' " which has about
> 363 rows) the SQL Exception message shows up:
>
> "Bigger type length than Maximum"
>
> Vendor code in the exception is 0.
>
> The query works fine in SQL Plus & shows that for
> " t1.c1 like 'a%' " number of rows is 43 - works
> " t1.c1 like 'b%' " number of rows is 363 - NO work
> " t1.c1 like 'bxy%' " number of rows is 150 - works
>
> The documentation (or lack thereof) on Oracle's Jdbc classes
> is pathetically poor. They do'nt even provide source for
> their classes in the classes111.zip file that I am using .
>
> What does that exception mean ? How do I get around it
> (without displaying results in batches via stored proc.
> etc.) ? Can I somehow reset the "Maximum" value
> somewhere ?
>
> Any suggestions/help will be appreciated.
> amit
>
> --------------A7F18D4EDA9D2E5B69268461
>
> begin:vcard
> n:Pradhan;Amit
> x-mozilla-html:FALSE
> org:Home
> version:2.1
> email;internet:amitp_at_ix.netcom.com
> x-mozilla-cpt:;0
> fn:Amit Pradhan
> end:vcard
>
> --------------A7F18D4EDA9D2E5B69268461--

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Fri Jul 23 1999 - 05:19:06 CDT