Re: Problem with nightly batch job against a 1.5Gig table. Also BITMAP prob

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 09:54:52 +0100

A couple of points, -

    each query is a simple count(*) so it can return only ONE row,     do you mean that the answer is about 1,000 in each case ?

    the syntax error may be because you don't have the compatible     parameter in init.ora set to 7.3 or above. (I think you may also     need the parallel query option installed at 7.3.4 anyway to allow     bitmap indices to be built).

Answers to your questions:

    reducing the number of extents is almost certain to have no effect.

    However, if the table has suffered huge numbers of inserts and     deletes so that lots of blocks are half empty (or worse), and lots     of blocks are on the free list, then a rebuild may pack the data     much more efficiently and leave you with a much smaller table.

    Adding a suitable index would almost certainly help, but we need     some statistics on the three different columns to be able to     determine what that index would be.

--

Jonathan Lewis