Re: Cluster Gobbling Space. Help!

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 09:38:39 +0100

There are a couple of oddities in your notes. Your 'select nvl(avg(vsize)))' covers only one column - can we assume (a) there is only one extra column per table (apart from cluster key columns) or (b) you are using the sample to show us the method, but did actually add up the vsize for all the columns (excluding cluster key) in each table.

Also - do we assume that you expect to get ca. 2 B rows for each A row ?

My first thought (given that number of blocks is very close to number of A rows) is that you created the cluster without defining the SIZE paramter, so Oracle is using one block per cluster key.

If your row sizing is reasonably accurare, and my assumptions are correct, then you need to redefine the cluster with a SIZE somewhere around 220 to 250

--

Jonathan Lewis