Re: Online backup of 7.2.6

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 21:01:19 +0800

Rainer Fritz wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I have some questions:
>
> our DB-system is running 24 hours a day and 360 days a year.
> So I have only one possibilty to backup our database: online!!
> In some case I have the possibility to create a tape with the datafiles of
> our DB in offline-mode.
>
> By the way the db-system runs in archive mode.
>
> While the backup I stop the different tablespace with the command Alter
> tablespace....offline , then I backup the datafile and then I put the
> tablespace online with the command Alter tablespace online.
> After this procedure I then backup the controlfile and then all
> archive-log-files from our UNIX-System.
>
> Question:
> 1.) Is this the right way to backup the ORACLE-database or are there any
> other files I should also backup?
> If yes, which files should I backup and at which time?
>
> 2.) Which archive-logs are necessary for a successful recovery? Only the
> archive-logs between the last DB
> shutdown (without backup the DB) or all tapes with all files I created
> after the last Offline-Backup?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Rainer
>
> My adresse Ra_Fritz_at_t-online.de

You do not have to offline ANY tablespaces to back them up...

Just do:

alter tablespace XXX begin backup;
(then copy it to tape)
alter tablespace XXX end backup;

for each tablespace...

at the end, switch archive logs and copy this and all previous ones (since your last backup) to tape and you're done...maybe even copy the archives to multiple tapes in case tapes play up...

you don't the online redo logs backed up...

HTH
--

Connor McDonald

"Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue." Received on Thu Jul 22 1999 - 08:01:19 CDT