Online backup of 7.2.6

From: Rainer Fritz <ra_fritz_at_t-online.de>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 20:44:52 +0200

Hey,

I have some questions:

our DB-system is running 24 hours a day and 360 days a year. So I have only one possibilty to backup our database: online!! In some case I have the possibility to create a tape with the datafiles of our DB in offline-mode.

By the way the db-system runs in archive mode.

While the backup I stop the different tablespace with the command Alter tablespace....offline , then I backup the datafile and then I put the tablespace online with the command Alter tablespace online. After this procedure I then backup the controlfile and then all archive-log-files from our UNIX-System.

Question:
1.) Is this the right way to backup the ORACLE-database or are there any other files I should also backup?

     If yes, which files should I backup and at which time?

2.) Which archive-logs are necessary for a successful recovery? Only the archive-logs between the last DB

      shutdown (without backup the DB) or all tapes with all files I created after the last Offline-Backup?

Thanks in advance

Rainer

My adresse Ra_Fritz_at_t-online.de Received on Thu Jul 22 1999 - 13:44:52 CDT