Re: Set rollback segment online

From: Chris Weiss <weisschr_at_pilot.msu.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 12:50:46 -0400

Try using dynamic PL/SQL. The following is an anonymous block that I tested on one of my databases:

declare

t_cursor number;
t_string varchar2(100);
t_val  number;

begin

t_string := 'alter rollback segment test online';

t_cursor := dbms_sql.open_cursor;

dbms_sql.parse(t_cursor,t_string,dbms_sql.v7);

t_val := dbms_sql.execute(t_cursor);

end;

Of course, you would want to add exception handling, etc., to a package, but yes, you can execute statements to change the status of rollback segments. You can also create and drop tables, indexes, and other objects. However, you must be careful not to invalidate your existing PL/SQL code by affecting the validity of objects upon which the package depends.

Experiment before you invest a great deal of effort in developing a sophisticated package.

Christopher Weiss
Compuware Corporation
Professional Services Division