Re: Multi - master replication with updatable snapshots ??

From: Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 16:11:01 -0700

Sudhi

Yes this configuration will work. The only caveat I would enter is that the options for conflict resolution decrease and chances of data diversion increase with more than two masters (regardless of the number of updatable snapshots). Your application may be able to live with this or it may not. It's very application specific. I'd be inclined to stick at 2 masters for simplicity.

18 masters? Not something I'd like to administer!

Pete

sudhi_b_at_usa.net wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I will be shortly setting up a Oracle replication architecture using
> both multimaster replication and updateable snapshots. We are
> considering an architecture having three primary sites, with multimaster
> replication amongst the primaries; each primary site will support
> multiple subsidiary sites having updateable snapshots.
>
> Doing a dejanews search and following posts by the resident replication
> gurus turned up a lot of useful tips (conflict resolution, training,
> planning etc). What surprised me was the fact there seem to be no
> discussions on multi -master replication using updateable snapshots. Are
> there any known caveats against such a configuration?? Specifically I
> would like some pointers on..
>
> 1. I read in one of the posts that administering more than 18 sites in a
> multi master mode is difficult. Any experiences to share on this would
> be great !!
>
> 2. Has anybody deployed production systems using a similar configuration
> ?? Any real world examples and info/pointers on the the pitfalls and
> lessons learned, the effort required, and the scale of the mplementation
> (number of master sites, number of snapshots) would be very helpful.
>
> TIA.
>
> tar
> _Sudhi

> Whatever you do will be insignificant but it is very important that
> you do it.
> Mahatma Gandhi

Regards

Pete