Re: memory process use is 10M is that normal?mlml

From: <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 13:31:05 GMT

In article <379591b1.8033000_at_news.cis.dfn.de>,   stojentin_at_orgdv.din.de wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> please keep in mind that you see the whole memory
> consumption, regardless if it is shared memory or not.
> The shadow process for a client (wich keep memory
> for all connections actually open from this maschine)
> uses different memory areas in different modes.
> Maybe you see a lot of shared memory, which counts
> only once over all processes but can be seen when
> looking at each of these processes

Michel, what is the exact Oracle error message you are getting? Out of memory errors are often associated with large packages. With version 7.2 down to 7.0 if an application executed a large package and the shared pool did not have a contiguous memory area large enough to hold the entire package you would get an error. I can not remember if this was fixed in 7.3 or not. We have pined all our large packages, 48 - 100K, since ver. 7.0 so if you are using packages you can use the dbms_shared_pool package to pin them at instance start-up and see if this helps.

We were told before we bought Oracle to plan on 5M per user for our purchased MRP package which was written in Forms 3.0. Newer software uses even more memory so I do not think 10M per user process is excessive. How much real memory do you have? Did you configure your Unix swap to be at least 2 to 4 times real memory?

Also if you have a large SGA you may find that the overall system runs better with less memory in the SGA and more advailable to the OS. If you are short of memory you could use MTS to reduce OS requirement for the user processes, but you may have to increase the shared_pool size to support MTS. That brings up another possibility, if you are using packages you could just need a larger shared pool to begin with.

I hope these ideas help. Please post the actual error messages and someone may be able to give you a specific answer.

--
Mark D. Powell -- The only advice that counts is the advice that  you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Wed Jul 21 1999 - 08:31:05 CDT