Re: V$LOGHIST content cutoff criteria

From: <johnvue_at_gte.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 02:23:21 GMT

The number of entries is stored inside the control file and its size is determined by MAXLOGHISTORY.

Use this option when creating the database or creating a control file. I believe that the default is 100 if you don't specify this (which most DBAs do not).

I explictly make MAXLOGHISTORY 4000 instead of the default of 100. It's definitely come in handy to be able to go way back in the past to see log switch history and costs nothing but a couple of extra kilobytes added on to the control file size.

I'm not sure why any of the Oracle 3rd party books mention this.