Re: API's for Oracle

From: David Sisk <davesisk_at_ipass.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 22:27:10 -0400

Hi:

If there isn't an Oracle client for BSD (and I don't think there is, but = I might be wrong), then they won't have a direct way to do this. They = *could* write a socket client on BSD that talks to a socket server on = NT, which in turn connects to the Oracle database. That's pretty = complicated, though.

I'd call Oracle Support with this one. They may have an Oracle client = for BSD. You need the Oracle SQL*Net or NET8 client, including the = Oracle OCI7 or OCI8 libraries and includes.

Good luck!

--
David C. Sisk
The Unofficial ORACLE on NT site

    sam.petitto_at_netsec.net wrote in message = <3794D6E9.F2604CDF_at_netsec.net>...

    Some programmers are writing an application in C to run against my = Oracle database. The question deals with Oracle's API. My Oracle is on a = box running NT. The developers are writing the C application on a box = with an O/S called OpenBSD. Technet doesn't have any info about = OpenBSD.What has been explained to me is that the same C program written = on three different O/S's will compile three different (unique to the = O/S) executable files. C apparently doesn't compile the same on NT as = Solaris as OpenBSD. The question I have for the newsgroup is this: If = Oracle does not have a client API for OpenBSD or offer their client = source code in a form such that it can be ported to OpenBSD, what is the = easiest way for the programmers' program to execute calls against my = database?? They said they'll make it work with any solution I can find, = as long as they can use THEIR COMPILER . Thank you all in advance for = any help you may be able to lend.

    =

    Sam Petitto
    Database Engineer
    Network Security Technologies Inc.
(877)799.9380 Toll Free
(703)561.0420 Local
(703)561.0426 Fax

    =

    This electronic message contains information from Network Security     Technologies, Inc or its affiliates, which may be confidential,     proprietary or otherwise protected from disclosure. The information = is

    intended to be used solely by the recipient(s) named above for the     purposes intended by the originator. If you are not an intended     recipient, be aware that any review, disclosure, copying, = distribution

    or use of this transmission or its contents is prohibited. If you = have

    received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately by =

    telephone at (703) 561-0420, or by electronic mail at = sales_at_netsec.net        Received on Tue Jul 20 1999 - 21:27:10 CDT