Re: NFS and Oracle archive logs

From: <neil_toronto_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 22:54:29 GMT

In article <379480C2.66C3_at_yahoo.com>,
  connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> Alex wrote:
> >
> > Due to some problems we have been experiencing, Oracle Support have
advised
> > me not to use NFS mounted partitions for archive logs as "nfs cannot
> > guarantee that results are actually written". Anyone have any hard
evidence
> > (white paper etc.) that this is true ??
> >
> > Oracle 8.0.5 - Digital UNIX V4
> >
> > Alex
>
> Depends on the NFS...
>
> Some NFS's use (I can't remember the real name) "unconfirmed writing"
> that is, it sends the data across the network and asssumes that the
> other node has taken care of it...
>
> Others will wait for an "ok" response so that writes are guaranteed to
> work...(I know that this is the case with Sun - dunno about others).
>
> Of more concern is that if you are doing some heavy duty updates, you
> want to make sure that you NFS subsystem will be able to keep up...
>
> HTH
> --
> Connor McDonald
> "These views mine, no-one elses etc etc"
> connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com
>
> "Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue."

Yes--check your NFS docs. Don't use a UDP NFS, because they won't verify writes. You're probably safe with a TCP NFS.

At least, this is what I remember from the Oracle8 documentation I was browsing through yesterday.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Tue Jul 20 1999 - 17:54:29 CDT