Re: How to get oracle client ?

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 21:43:48 +0800

Phillip X. Fei wrote:

> I have an Oracle8 NT server here, now I want to
> be able to connect to this server from a Win95 PC via ODBC.
>
> Is there any kind of free Oracle client?
> If not, where can I get a cheap Oracle8 Client?
>
> In my win95 PC control panel, I noticed that I have the following two
> drivers:
>
> Microsoft ODBC driver for Oracle: 2.00.00.6325 MSORCL10.DLL 01/00/97
>
> Microsoft ODBC for Oracle: 2.573.3513.00 msorcl32.dll 11/05/98
>
> But when I try to add DNS from these drivers, it tells me I can not do
> it until
> I install an Oracle client. Is there a walk around to this situdation?
> Or do I have to buy
> expensive Oracle client licences?
>
> Thanks.

The same software that installed the NT server will be able to install SQLNet for WinNT/98/95...

With SQLNet installed and OBDC you will be able to get the database from products like Visual Basic and Access. For oracle products, all you will need is sqlnet.

HTH
--

Connor McDonald

"Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue." Received on Tue Jul 20 1999 - 08:43:48 CDT