Re: Desperate Newbie:

From: Vick <vramming_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 19:42:21 GMT

hi Zahid...
I'm a newbie too but straight from the book, here goes... shutdown the Oracle Listener service (NT Service) remove (I'm a believer in renaming!) \orant\net80\admin\ listener.ora, sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora
Use Oracle Net8 assistant
setup listener first
 choose listener, edit> create "LISTENER" (no quotes)   listening locations > add address> protocol TCP, host= your machine name! leave teh Port at 1521
 choose database services
  add DB global name (like ORCL.world)
  oracle home (check registry!)
  SID (check registry)
SAVE NOW!
Profile... or sqlnet.ora
again in NEt8 assistant
choose Profile> Methods > remove all except TNSNAMES choose oracle Names Domain = WORLD
Save!
Service Names ... or tnsnames.ora
net8 assistant
Choose Service Names > edit > create your database name (NOT necessarily the SID) is the service name choose TCP > next> host name, port = 1521, SID... Save!
Start up your listener service.
Try to connect then.... and go to the Database operator class for NT. It was GREAT.

Vick

In article <3794B26B.B05E5A75_at_cc.gatech.edu>,   zman <zahid_at_cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
> Hi. This is my first time using Oracle and I am starting off using
> Oracle 8i Enterprise Edition for NT.
> I've bought two books on the subject and went through the Client and
> Server install process exactly like it says in the books. However, I
> cannot connect to the server from the remote client no matter what I
do.
> I would REALLY appreciate it if someone could answer some questions
for
> me:
> 1.] Once the server installation is complete, do I need to run NetEasy
> Config or anything else so that the Listeners are running?
> 2.] Once the Client installation is complete, do I need to run any
other
> configuration utility so that it can recognize the server database?
>
> I get these errors when I try to run SqlPlus 8.0 from the client and
try
> to connect to the server database:
>
> ERROR:
> ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name
>
> In the dialog box that pops up initially for SqlPlus, do i need the
> whole hostname.domain for the Host string? (eg: caldera.chem.uga.edu)
>
> Any other help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
> --zahid
>
> --
> Zahid A. Khan
> CS Junior | ChemE Computer Assistant
> ICQ UIN: 4103995 | Phone:(404) 892 4886

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Tue Jul 20 1999 - 14:42:21 CDT