Re: ODBC vs Pro*c or OCI

From: Bo Lorentsen <bl_at_bellesystems.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 10:05:10 +0200

Furkan Khan wrote:

> Folks, I am building a very high performance
> distributed application for the internet. I have a
> minimum requirement of at least 400 transaction/s (profiled on
> low end solaris box).

This can be achieved by using the OCI library, but it look like Oracle have an error in there client code, if you plan to use dynamic date and "host arrays" (DynamicBind). I have made a JDBC/ODBC like interface for OCI and C++, and this interface have gained over 1000/s while inserting rather small records, but its not stable during the Oracle error (wild pointer), hope this will be fixed in the near future (I have send this error to Oracle id DK, but only time will show have fast this will be fixed).

> What are the pros and cons of using ODBC vs pro*c or OCI ?

I have been told that OBDC is rather slow. Pro*C is ok, but not for dynamic data and statements, and OCI is not pretty, but it CAN be fast !

/BL

--
Bo Lorentsen
Software Engineer