Re: Oracle8: Auextend or Storage (initial...next..)?

From: Doeni <doeni_at_evhr.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 21:12:42 +0200

Huy Vu wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I usually create a tablespace with
> Default Storage
> (Initial....next...pctincrease...minextents);
> statement.
>
> I discovered in the Oracle DBA Handbook
>
> another way to extent the segments in the tablespace as
>
> Create tablespace A datafile '/u/tablespaceA.dbf' size 200M
> autoextend on
> next 10MB
> Maxsize 250M / ulimited;
>
> How is the pctincrease and minextends value in creatingy a tablespace with
> this way?

This are 2 separate things. You still can specify a storage clause for a tablespace even if it is in autoextend. The next means by how much the datafile will grow when it is full. It is always a good idea to specify a maxsize, else one day you will reach any limit (eg on Unix 1GB with a ulimit set to 1GB, or the 2GB region) ... and then depending on the platform and release the problem may start (corruptions for example).