Re: Speed of Oracle8 ?

From: <hr784_at_cleveland.freenet.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 18:51:58 GMT

CF,

This is a question that will be very difficult to answer. As far as speed is concerned, I think you'll be hard pressed to find a faster main stream database. Informix is also fast but has many DBA functions built into the database engine.

Some question would be;

What kind of hardware are you running this on? If it on an IDE controller running in NT then you may have a problem as apposed to fiber channels to/from EMC/SUN/Boxhill disk arrays.

A properly tuned database will have a big effect on your speed. I've seen many problems due to horrible PLSQL code and indexes that were not properly thought out. Under/Over sized SGA's, ETC...

Sounds as if someone in your executive staff just threw some figures out there and said beat it or maybe your old system could process transaction this fast!!!

David Knollhoff

In article <7mv41h$j7g$2_at_news00.btx.dtag.de>,   c.fischer_at_t-online.de (C. Fischer) wrote:
> Problem:
> Project with about 700 Queries per second
> (from simple lookup to very complex queries).
> Too much for Oracle8?
> Datavolume: more than 4GB.
> And what hardware is needed if it is possible with Oracle8?
> It would be helpful to know if 700 simple queries could be answered in
> one second.
>
> bye
> cf

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Mon Jul 19 1999 - 13:51:58 CDT