Re: Row locking and serializability

From: Vadim Tropashko <vadimtro_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 11:30:29 -0700

Hi Ruud,

Original posting compared traditional locking implementation to Oracle. Lets look into locking implementation first. In the passenger example the statement

select count(*) from passengers;

puts a read lock on the whole table, right? Oracle implementation would not, but 'select for update' will put the write lock. Putting write lock seems to be more restrictive at first, but again, writers do not block readers in Oracle, therefore, these two cases seems to be equivalent from throughput perspective.