system setup survey

From: Garrett Casey <remove_this_prefix_adms1_at_cts.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 18:01:18 GMT

I recently had lunch with two gentlemen who are planning on developing a web site that serves information from a static database containing 200,000,000+ records. They asked what type of system I would recommend. I blurted out:

FreeBSD
mod_perl Apache
mySQL (except I don't know how it would scale to 200,000,000+ records).

They have been leaning towards using a Microsoft server with SQL7.0.

I am curious about what system you would suggest for this situation and why. The system should be able to withstand a decent amount of traffic (2,000,000+ requests a day???). The static database will consist of 200,000,000 records (except I don't know the size of each record and how many tables).

-Garrett Casey Received on Mon Jul 19 1999 - 13:01:18 CDT