Slow listener connects on Windows NT

From: <dgh_consulting_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 11:49:06 GMT

Hi! We have been doing some volume testing of a new client application, the back-end of which is Oracle 8.0.5 on Windows NT 4.0 (SP3). We are using Net8 and TCP/IP protocol. The clients are using SQL*Net Client v2.3.4.0.4 (might seem strange, but they use multiple Oracle-based applications, some of which are incompatible with Net8).

I am using a test harness which spawns a number of plus33 (or plus80) sessions, each of which connects to the back-end database and executes a stored procedure which simulates the update activity which will be performed by the new app.

My problem is that although the back-end server doesn't seem too troubled (disk queues, CPU and memory usage all within acceptable bounds), I can't get the listener to connect the SQL*Plus sessions at quicker than 1 per second.

I believe that using the listener pre-spawned connections option is of little use in Windows NT, as these are not recreated after a user has disconnected (unlike in UNIX, for example).

Oracle Support suggested setting
USED_SHARED_SOCKET = TRUE in the registry to improve performance a little, but I note from an article in Metalink that this should NOT be used when running Oracle FailSafe (which we are using). Note that I have recreated the test in a non-clustered environment and still get the same result, so OFS isn't the problem.

I have also tested with and without Oracle Names Server, and get the same result in both instances (appox. 1 connection per second). This is a worry, because if 100 users wanted to connect at once, the 100th would take over a minute and a half to connect. Although 100 connect requests at once might seem unlikely, in this case it would be possible because the app connects, does its stuff and then disconnects every time the user clicks a button. I am told that it was designed in this way for resilience!

Help! I have logged the problem with both Oracle and Microsoft. Does anyone know which of these is to blame? I suspect that NT might not be able to handle the socket requests quickly enough. I tried getting into SMS Remote Control on the back- end server while a test was running, and had problems. I guess that this could back up my suspicion, but I'm still not sure. I have adjusted the listener QUEUESIZE, but this only affects the number of connect requests that are allowed to queue up - it has nothing to do with the speed of connections.

Sorry this is such a bit post. I'd be VERY grateful for any help on the subject.

Thanks v. much,

Dave Henderson.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Mon Jul 19 1999 - 06:49:06 CDT