Delete on FULL INDEX SCAN - is it inefficient ??

From: Kevin A Lewis <KevinALewis_at_Hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 12:00:37 +0100

I have a system (SAPr3) with a table CROSS which is regularly issued with a statement

DELETE CROSS where column_name1 = 'abcd' and column_name2 = '1234';

The table has 4 columns total which are all part of the primary key and it has an index on one column as well.

This delete performs like a dog and is explained as being accessed by a FULL INDEX SCAN. What I wondered was if there were performance issues with doing a delete when the access is be FULL INDEX SCAN. Surely the data has to be accessed for a delete so such a scan is inherently inefficient.

Regards

--
Kevin A Lewis (BOCM PAULS LTD - Animal Feed Manufacturer - Ipswich England)

                        <KevinALewis_at_HotMail.com>

The views expressed herein by the author of this document are not necessarily those of BOCM PAULS Ltd. Received on Mon Jul 19 1999 - 06:00:37 CDT