Re: Database Fragmentation

From: David Sisk <davesisk_at_ipass.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 19:45:39 -0400

Hi:

If you've *standardized* your extent sizes, you'll get lots of space reuse on tables, so table fragmentation shouldn't be much of a problem. Space from deleted rows in indexes isn't reused until 8.1, so you will get index fragmentation. Luckily, you can easily fix this by running "ALTER INDEX indexname REBUILD tablespacename" on each affected index. Be sure to specify the tablespace name or it will rebuild on the default user's tablespace.

Good luck!

--
David C. Sisk
The Unofficial ORACLE on NT site