Re: Clustering Server - How to move database

From: Ben F Oliver <olicon1_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 08:33:43 GMT

In article <7mfaho$fod$1_at_ezekiel.eunet.ie>,

        "FCostello" <feargal_costello_at_ward.ie> wrote:

>Hi,
>Our company have an Oracle 7.3 database running on OpenVMS. They plan to
>cluster the current machine. This will entail renaming the disks. How can I
>save my current instance and database
>a. Recreate new database and import all from dump file
>b. startup mount and rename files
>c. another way ?
>
>Any suggestions, help, experience of same ????
>
>Feargal

  1. Create a Control file - ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROL FILE TO TRACE
  2. Rename newly created control file to XXXX.sql
  3. Perform Cold Backup of Database
  4. After disk renaming, recover Cold backup to new Directory Names.
  5. Generate a list of NEW locations. ( ie. ls /new*/ORACLE/sid/* >files )
  6. Edit XXX.sql and replace datafiles with NEW list "files"
  7. Execute XXX.sql from svrmgrl

Voala! A new database with logs reset.

PS: Review XXX.sql thoroughly. I am writing this from memory and it sometimes gets paged out. Received on Sat Jul 17 1999 - 03:33:43 CDT