Oracle 8 on Netware! HELP! Documentation SUCKS!

From: Robert Jolliffe <rjolliffe_at_lycosmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 21:23:54 GMT

Hi,

Maybe it's just me but the documentation and technical support of Oracle seems to SUCK!

I'm trying to install a new database on an Oracle 8 for Netware configuration. The default database which ships with Oracle works fine. I'm trying to create a new instance and database called VMFG.

What I can't figure out is the following:

In SVRMGR30 I can't set the current instance until I'm in the application. I've kept the default listener (ROBSERVER_LSNR) on my server and I've added an instance called VMFG in easycfg. This seems pretty strait forward.

I then go into the LSNCTL80 program and check STATUS and SERVICES. It reports the two services (VMFG and ORCL) are running.

I then go into the SVRMGR30 and try and connect to the VMFG instance. I can't figure out how to do this. I seem to be connecting to the ORCL instance without a problem. When I try and connect to the VMFG instance I must have the syntax of the connect statement wrong. When I try the SET INSTANCE = VMFG or SET INSTANCE VMFG I get an can't find service name error.

Unfortunately Oracle's WONDERFUL Documentation doesn't seem to even hint at how to use it. I can't find any documentation on SVRMGR30 ANYWHERE! It's driving me nuts!

Any help appreciated.

-Rob Received on Fri Jul 16 1999 - 16:23:54 CDT