Re: Question About MTS

From: Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 09:08:39 -0700

Arthur

MTS is needed in one of two situations:

  1. Your server is low on memory and you want to share resources via the shared servers instead of dedicated ones for each connection. Normally, this will perform worse than dedicated due to the communication overhead. However, if you swap to dedicated and don't have enough memory it could perform worse than MTS.
  2. You are on Oracle8 and you want to use either the Connection Manager or connection pooling functionalities. Both these require MTS.

Not sure what you're trying to get at with the listener question. You certainly still need a listener for connections across the network.

HTH. Pete

--
Regards

Pete