Re: Block Size for OS

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 23:04:36 +1000

Ah, OK.

In NT, the real I/O is done in "cluster size", being whatever was used to format the partition. Usually a multiple of 512. Recommended is 4096, which also happens to be the block size used for I/O from paging by NT itself.

So when making your partitions for ORACLE, try to make the cluster size 4K, then make your ORACLE block size the same. The default block size for ORACLE on NT is 2K, which in most cases is not optimal.

In UNIX, it is usually 4K. But it can be changed, check out the file system docs.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto