Re: Access to v$views

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 18:21:43 -0500

>How do I give a developer access to all
>of the v$views?

The only way I know how to give them access to the v$ views is to grant them access for each view that you want them to be able to see. (or you can grant them DBA, but that's probably not what you want). When granting access to v$ views, you have to follow a simple, but odd procedure. The user SYS owns these views, so you first have to log on as SYS. Then, you grant select on the underlying v_$ view. For instance, to grant user1 select on v$instance, do:

   SQL> connect sys/change_on_install
   SQL> grant select on v_$instance to user1;

User1 should now be able to query v$instance. But he won't be able to query v_$instance. This is weird, but it's the way that it works.

Hope that helps,
Brian Peasland
peasland_at_msn.com Received on Thu Jul 15 1999 - 18:21:43 CDT