Re: Questions about Webdb and OAS

From: <djuly_at_casema.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 19:41:45 GMT

On Thu, 24 Jun 1999 13:10:10 GMT, lsf_at_cis.hkuspace.org wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Sorry for my stupid quesstion. I'm new to Oracle. I'm going to start a
>database project using Oralce 8i. I will distribute the data via web. I
>have taken a glance about web development using Oracle. Quite a lot
>books talking about OAS or OWS.
>
>My package only come with Webdb. Could anyone tell me is Webdb sucessor
>of OAS or OWS?? Moreover, could I develop the web application using
>Webdb using OAS or OWS way (I can only borrow books talking how to
>develop using OAS or OWS). Thanks a lot.
>
>Rgds.
>WebDb comprises of an Web Listener and several oracle packages installed on the database. With Webdb it is possible to make
applications something like forms (but simpler) display graphics an query the database. Besides you can not only query but also update the table. Al application are published in a webrowser All html is dynamic.
The thing is that as long as you have a webrowser and the URL of the server you actualy can make any application from within the browser. The OAS makes it posslible to but client side logic (browser definition on the application server. With the PL/SQL cartridge you can make dynamic web pages retrieving up to date data from the server. The WebDb is a complete product. The application server is a product which can be extende throuch other (3rd party) applications such as different data cartridges.