Re: Data Loading - Question and Advice requested

From: <decompton_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 18:57:04 GMT

Mike,

There is a feature in ORACLE 8 called direct insert. It is for SQL Insert statements and works very much like the DIRECT option of SQL*Loader. I have not personally used it, so I can't vouch if it works. If you look up the LOGGING/NOLOGGING option on the CREATE/ALTER table or Chapter 20 in the ORACLE Server Concepts manual, if will walk you through the details.

good luck

dave

p.s. Is there a bug number on the DIRECT option of SQL*Loader not working (Is it NT/SUN/Hp specific or is it generic)??? It's the first I've heard of it. I haven't had the volumes on O8 to use DIRECT load.

In article <IHmj3.85$Sy5.4384_at_news3.usenetserver.com>,   "Mike M." <okana_at_msn.com> wrote:
> Since the Direct Data Load feature is still not available for version
8.x I
> have a couple querries for the programmers and support people out
there.

> 1. Is there a way to use the /nologging switch in a SQL insert
statement
> even though you are not using direct data loading? We are constantly
adding
> 100K to 200K records for a telemarketing database about once or twice
a week
> are we do not need the archive logs to keep track of that - it's
wasted
> space. And since we do the loads at night it's a pain for someone to
log in
> and bounce the database to turn off the logging before the loads kick
off.
> (And that is assuming there is an open phone line to dial into.) The
data
> is currently being loaded via VB from a text file. (FYI - doing it in
code
> is no slower than the current speed of SQL loader in Oracle.)
>
> 2. Since Orace has been dragging their feet fixing the Direct Data
Load
> feature, I am assuming there must be better tools out there somewhere
that
> can perform the same function(s)?? Does anyone have any advice or
> preferences on tools they use to move data quickly and seamlessly
into a
> table(s)?
>
> Thanks in advance for any insight or advice.
>
> Mike Milliron
> okana_at_msn.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Thu Jul 15 1999 - 13:57:04 CDT