Re: ORA-04030: Out of process memory ERROR

From: Martin Pfingstl <mpfingstl_at_lhsystemsas.de>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 17:12:53 +0200

>I am getting the following error when doing an insert into... select....
>
>ORA-04030: out of process memory when trying to allocat 10232 bytes
>(pga hep, ksm stack)

[...]
>We have called Oracle, they have no answers except to say the it should
>be fixed in the next version.
>
>Running Oracle 8.0.5.1.0.0
> AIX 4.3 on a 4 CPU RS6000 with 2M ram.

We had this sort of problem, too. It could be that the Unix process which currently
executes your SQL statement needs too much memory. You can specify a maximum memory consumption per user. See Unix-command "ulimit" and increase the values (stack, kernel, etc.). I'm not sure, but perhaps it works... (and don't forget to restart your computer, as perhaps the changes take effect only
after rebooting, but again, I'm not sure...).

Best regards,

   Martin Pfingstl Received on Thu Jul 15 1999 - 10:12:53 CDT