Re: Snapshot too old, but I don't care about read consistency for this query

From: Dave Wotton <Dave.Wotton_at_dwotton.nospam.clara.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 06:55:04 GMT

Dave Wotton wrote ...
>[snip]
>Answering Greg's question, you can't switch off the consistent read
>mechanism, but you can rewrite your transaction process the rows in batches
>and commit after every batch, but you'll have to make sure you close your
>reading cursor after every commit to make this work and to avoid fetch
>across commits.

Ooops, re-reading Greg's question, he's not doing an update, just a select. But the argument still applies: rewrite the query as a select within a loop, reading a limited number of rows per select. But it's easier to increase your rollback segments, and perhaps you ought to be thinking about why your query takes hours anyway - it can probably be tuned.

Dave.
--
Remove "nospam" from my address to reply by email Received on Wed Jul 14 1999 - 01:55:04 CDT