Re: ORA-00600 URGENT

From: David Sisk <davesisk_at_ipass.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 22:39:41 -0400

Hello:

Is the datafile larger than 4Gb? If so, below is the bug report from Oracle. You will have to get Oracle Support to fix this for you, if it's even possible in your case.

Good luck!

Article-ID:         <Note:67421.1>
Circulation:        PUBLISHED (EXTERNAL)
Folder:             platform.NT
Topic:              1.  Alerts
Platform:           NT  NT Generic issue
Subject:            ALERT: Do NOT use files >= 4Gb on NT in Oracle8
Author:             RPOWELL.UK/DRUSSELL.UK
Creation-Date:      22-DEC-1998 10:51:28
Modified-Date:      05-MAR-1999 19:05:44
Document-Type:      ALERT
Impact:             HIGH
Skill-Level:        CASUAL
Component:          RDBMS  Server 08.00 - 08.01
Attachments:        NONE

Bug:711563 Problems with Datafiles >= 4Gb on Oracle8 on NT Platforms

Versions Affected

  The problems described here can affect all releases of Oracle8 on NT only.   A fix is now available in 8.0.4.3.5 and 8.0.5.1.0a

Platforms Affected

  The problems affect Oracle8 releases on all NT platforms   (ie: Both Intel and Alpha NT platforms are affected)

Description

  Releases of Oracle8 on NT platforms can exhibit serious problems when   using files larger than 4Gb in size. Some versions of Oracle8 will not   allow such files to be created whilst others can give problems if a file   is resized beyond 4Gb.

Likelihood of Occurrence

  It is highly likely that problems will be encountered if an attempt is   made to create or resize a datafile to larger than 4Gb. One should also   avoid migrating an Oracle7 database to Oracle8 if it contains files which   are 4Gb or larger.
  NOTE: Resizing includes AUTOEXTEND of a file beyond 4Gb.

Possible Symptoms

  There are several possible symptoms from this problem including:
  1. ORA-1200: database file n failed verification check ORA-1110: data file n: '......' ORA-1200: actual file size of n is smaller than correct size
  2. ORA-1237 cannot extend datafile %s ORA-1110 data file n: '......'
  3. If a file is resized above 4Gb it is possible for the file to be truncated to a much smaller size such that data could be lost from the file.

Workaround

  The only safe workaround at present is to ensure that no file is created   which is >= 4Gb in size. This is best achieved by making sure all datafiles
  are 4095Mb or less and additionally setting MAXSIZE to 4095Mb for files   that are configured to AUTOEXTEND.
  NOTE: Attempting to create a file of EXACTLY 4Gb can cause problems.

  It is advisable to read the article below which describes potential   issues using files of 2Gb or larger in size as this may influence the   maximum datafile size you choose to use.

Patches

  No patches are currently available.
  A fix is expected to be available with Oracle 8.0.5.2.   This alert will be if any additional patches are made available.