Re: Run Oracle without transactions?

From: <decompton_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 15:04:58 GMT

In ORACLE 8, there is a concept called Direct Inserts. This is different than the DIRECT option of SQL*LOADER. To enable, you must alter the table into NOLOGGING mode and then do inserts with and /*+ APPEND */ hint. See the ORACLE 8 SQL Reference to see if it will work for you.

The NOLOGGING option will greatly reduce, but not eliminate the amount of redo used on inserts

thanks,

dave

In article <378475E2.734866B9_at_cls.uob.com.sg>,   Anita Krishnamurthy <anita_at_cls.uob.com.sg> wrote:
> So do I conclude that there is no way I can turn transactions off on
the
> database? I was told that this is how Oracle runs when loading is
done using SQL
> Loader. I was wondering if there is a way for us to do it. This would
be a
> solution for us.
>
> Jonathan Lewis wrote:
>
> > I suspect that there is no cheap fix for your
> > problem, too many black-boxes with the
> > potential for complicated twiddly bits.
> >
> > You ought to have an option to commit
> > one object at a time within your loading
> > front-end. This will save the massive
> > rollback, though it could drive the redo
> > log wastage (hence I/O) up quite a bit.
> > (If there isn't an option to commit for
> > each object, there should be).
> >
> > You could look at the option for producing
> > a second loader, using common code to
> > generate flat files corresponding to the
> > relational tables that would be loaded, and
> > then use a fast loader to pump the flat
> > files into the database.
> >
> > To get an insight into what the black boxes
> > are doing, you could send a sql_trace call
> > to the process that gets the data into the
> > database - it might give you some clues
> > on a least expensive strategy.
> >
> > -

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Tue Jul 13 1999 - 10:04:58 CDT