Re: recovering from instance failure while online backup still on

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 21:51:41 +0800

Pete Sharman wrote:

> Daud11
>
> What version are you running? In earlier releases the situation you
> describe required a recovery. In later versions all you needed to do was
> issue an alter database datafile 'filespec' end backup command. I think
> the change came in 7.3, but I'm only going on memory there (no doubt
> someone else will correct me if I'm wrong on the version number!).
>
> HTH.
>
> Pete
>
> daud11_at_hotmail.com wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > My oracle database crashed while still doing online tablespace backup
> > because of power failure. I have recovered it successfully but I am not
> > sure whether what I did was the correct/preferred way.
> >
> > This is what I did to recover the database:
> > 1) Open the database in 'mount' stage
> > 2) recover database
> > 3) open the database
> >
> > Is that correct? Don't I need to end the tablespace backup before doing
> > the recover database?
> >
> > Please help to explain.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Daud11

> --
> Regards
>
> Pete

> Name: psharman.vcf
> Part 1.2 Type: text/x-vcard
> Encoding: 7bit

I am pretty sure it was documented in 7.3, but I think you could also do it in 7.2. Even before that I think we once had occasion to use 'alter tablespace xxx end backup' and that seemed to work. (We were able to glean the tablespace name from the alert log)

Cheers

--

Connor McDonald

"Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue." Received on Mon Jul 12 1999 - 08:51:41 CDT