Re: Sybase to Oracle

From: Denny Koovakattu <denny_vk_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 17:52:32 GMT

Hi,

  To answer your first question, the SID need not be the same, but the database name and datafile locations must be the same. If you want to use a different database name, take a trace of the controlfile ( alter database backup controlfile to trace ) and change the "reuse database" statement to "set database" with the new database name and run it. Remember to change it in the initSID.ora also. If the datafile locations are different, you can either rename them one by one manually or take a trace of the controlfile, edit it to change the locations of the datafiles to the new locations and run it. You have a lot more options with Oracle than you have with Sybase. I would suggest you read the Oracle manual on "Backup and Recovery".

  If you are doing a full database import, then the users will be created. If not you may have to continue doing it the way you have been doing.

Regards,
Denny

--
Denny Koovakattu
denny_at_vitalsol.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Mon Jul 12 1999 - 12:52:32 CDT