high-performance Solaris?

From: Karl Berry <karl_at_pier.f7.net>
Date: 11 Jul 1999 09:08:50 -0400

We're looking at sizing a host system (sparc-solaris) for an Oracle database that will need to be pretty high performance -- something like 5k-10k transactions per second, .5k-1k bytes per transaction, total of .5tb-1tb data. All network-based, and the `users' will be programs, not humans. The data will certainly have to be on some kind of local raid system, of course.

We're talking to Sun and Oracle, and reading the Oracle manuals and third-party (O'Reilly, Prentice-Hall) books. But I thought I'd also post a query here to see what reality was :). What kind of performance numbers are achievable with high-end Suns, and which high-end Suns are the best bet?

Any and all advice, information, pointers, or other replies gratefully appreciated. Thanks.

karl_at_bostonlight.com Received on Sun Jul 11 1999 - 08:08:50 CDT