Re: Sybase to Oracle

From: <jchernia_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 20:15:46 GMT

Denny,
> If you are looking to transfer a database from one machine to
another,
> then you have different options.
>
> a. If you are having the same OS and database version, then you could
> either take a hot or cold backup, copy it to your target machine and
> fire up the DB ( do recovery in case of a hot backup. )

I want to do this, but it doesn't seem to work right. I can start the service, but can't login. Do the instance SIDs have to be the same on the two machines? Does the path to the database files have to be the same?

> b. If you are transfering to different OS, then you can take a
complete
> database export and import it on your target machine. You will have to
> create a minimal database on the target machine. It will create the
> tablespaces, users/schema, objects etc for you.

This is what I do currently. Unfortunately I don't think it creates the user (I have to drop the user with cascade, create him again and then I can run the import).

Thanks much,
John Cherniavsky

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Sat Jul 10 1999 - 15:15:46 CDT