Re: Data Modeling Tools

From: WolfAlpha <wolfalpha_spamguard_at_home.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 13:32:28 GMT

If you plan to maintain the databases with the data modeling tool, I generally like ERWin in this aspect--when you make modeling changes to the ERWin diagram, you have the capability to compare that diagram against the actual database and have it generate the SQL needed to make those changes (you could have it just make the changes, but I prefer to have it spit out code, so I can review it and then use it on my development, test, and then production instances of that database). It has been incredibly helpful whenever I have had to remove or rename a column (it takes care of dropping the constraints, renaming the table, creating the new table, inserting all the data into the new table, and reenabling all the constraints/build all the indexes). The big negative to it is cost (it is pricey), but for what all it can do and the number of different databases it supports, its nearly worth that much (I only say its too expensive because my wife won't let me spend that much to use it at home!). As for ER/Studio, if you only care about Oracle or SQLServer database, it is a very nice and robust tool. The version 3.5 looks like it brings it up to (and with some features--beyond) the capabilities of ERWin. Since Embarcadero Technologies specializes in Oracle and SQL Server, they can put a lot more functionality specific to those databases in all of their tools. (I am probably going to get the trial version just to try out the global search and replace function...). Hope this helps!

Jeff S