Re: Big Oracle DB on Netware ?

From: Philip Chee <philip_at_aleytys.pc.my>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 99 13:13:31 GMT

In article <37852F35.9E8FF372_at_j-mulders.demon.nl> mail_at_j-mulders.demon.nl writes:

>I think there is not *one* reason to DO or DON'T Netware. There are
>several to DON'T:

>- Netware is a file and printersharing platform.

Agreed.

> It is not designed to run a large number of processes. If one of these
>processes misbehehaves, it will take the whole Netware box down.

Before Netware 5 there was no memory protection.

>- Netware lacks a cron and a scripting language.

NOVCRON is a port of unix cron to the netware environment. Get it off their website. NETBASIC is included in Netware 4 upwards.

>If you run a large database, you probably want these things.

You'w want them anyway if you were administering an Netware network.

Philip

 Philip Chee: Tasek Corporation Berhad, P.O.Box 254, 30908 Ipoh, MALAYSIA   e-mail: philip_at_aleytys.pc.my Voice:+60-5-545-1011 Fax:+60-5-547-3932    Guard us from the she-wolf and the wolf, and guard us from the thief,
---
 þ 10167.05 þ Do molecular biologists wear designer genes? Received on Sat Jul 10 1999 - 08:13:31 CDT