Re: Suggestion needed: 150 ppl, 8 users

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_erols.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 23:49:37 -0400

Hi,

    If you are running a mission-critical application you should double your drive capacity and then mirror your disks. Based on my own experience with Oracle on NT, wiith only five active users the rest of your configuration should be adequate.

    Unless you require some of the options that are only available with enterprise edition stick with the standard edition. If I remember correctly Oracle standard edition encompasses all of the capabilities available with SQL Server -- and then some.

    The real issue between SQL Server and Oracle with a 5 user application isn't wether or not SQL Server can handle the application. It comes down to how much confidence do you have in Microsoft product quality and support vs how much confidence you have in Oracle product quality and support.

    Your question about the degree of difficulty in installing Oracle leads me to suspect that you may be better off with Sql Server (I really didn't say that, did I?) Oracle is a more powerful and more flexible product, but in order to take advantage of the additional capability it is necessary to learn how to properly tune and administer Oracle and to spend the time doing so on a daily basis. If your organization is willing to commit a bright person with some practical experience for one to two hours per day to both learn and administer Oracle then you should go with SQL Server. If you are willing to make the commitment Oracle will serve you well.

regards
Jerry Gitomer

songju ma wrote in message ...
>Hi,
>I am part of a development team for a company called Advanced
Technical
>Support (www.ats-ats.com). We are thinking of installing oracle
DBMS for
>managing our database. Our company is about 150 people and the
user of the
>database application will be around 5 people. We are thinking of
buying
>Oracle 8 Server running on top of an NT box. So can anybody
suggest what
>kind of hardware is suitable for this kind of system? Is Oracle
8 Standard
>Edition good enough or we should go for Oracle 8 Enterprise
Edition? For