Suggestion needed: 150 ppl, 8 users

From: songju ma <sma_at_shrike.depaul.edu>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 15:27:29 -0500

Hi,
I am part of a development team for a company called Advanced Technical Support (www.ats-ats.com). We are thinking of installing oracle DBMS for managing our database. Our company is about 150 people and the user of the database application will be around 5 people. We are thinking of buying Oracle 8 Server running on top of an NT box. So can anybody suggest what kind of hardware is suitable for this kind of system? Is Oracle 8 Standard Edition good enough or we should go for Oracle 8 Enterprise Edition? For this size of system, is SQL Server good enough to be used or it is necessary to go for Oracle?
So far the configuration of the machine that we are looking at is: Dell PowerEdge 2300 - 550 Mhz/512 KB Cache RAM 512 MB
HDD 9 GB
NT Server 0 10 Clients
Tape 12/24GB DDS-3 Internal Tape Backup

Another quesion, how hard is it to install Oracle? Should we buy oracle from DELL so that it is pre-installed? Or should we buy oracle from Oracle store?

Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks.

Dev. Team
Advanced Technical Support Received on Fri Jul 09 1999 - 15:27:29 CDT