Re: NT4/SP4 real-life experiences?

From: <skubiszewski_at_Eisner.DECUS.Org>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 19:30:10 GMT

In article <37863dd5.0_at_news.qgraph.com>, rvissers_at_qtiworld._N0_SP4M_.com (Ron Vissers) writes:
>With SMP & 2 cpu's, SP4 (workstation) has been the source of daily BSOD's :<

Our development server with SP4 is running NT server on 1 CPU, the one production box with SP4 is also NT server, but has 2 CPUs. No problems noticed on either (I changed nothing, the NT admin changed nothing, just a regular SP4 install.)

Haven't touched the monster NT server with 4 CPUs yet -- still has SP3 as does its companion development box (with 1 CPU.)

Are the problems with SP4 only on NT workstations? Maybe that is why we have not seen any?

Another thing (cross fingers, knock on wood) is that our 4 NT servers with Oracle have been wonderfully stable. Not one crash or BSOD. The biggest/busiest production database has been A-OK since we went into production on 11/98. The box has been rebooted a couple of times since (haven't got around to scheduling a monthly reboot.)

Coming from Oracle on Unix, I wasn't too enthused about working with NT. Figured it would BSOD every day or so.

Perhaps our existing stable (apparently) NT configuration is why we've been spared the horrors of SP4?

Rose