Re: Sybase to Oracle

From: Denny Koovakattu <denny_vk_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 19:22:08 GMT

Hi,

  Backup/Restore in Sybase is done with the dump/load database command. After you load into a new database you can apply the logs to do a complete recovery. ( The new database into which you load has to be created based on the specs of the old DB from which the dump came from. Plus I believe there are some issues in the order in which you create user logins and stuff like that. )

  In Oracle the export/import utility does not give you the flexibility to recover by applying the logs. You can compare this to the bcp utility, only that here Oracle creates the objects for you and has some extra features. If you are looking for having a backup plan for Oracle, then I would suggest you read the Oracle "Server Backup and Recovery" and the "Server Concepts" manuals.

  If you are looking to transfer a database from one machine to another, then you have different options.

  1. If you are having the same OS and database version, then you could either take a hot or cold backup, copy it to your target machine and fire up the DB ( do recovery in case of a hot backup. )
  2. If you are transfering to different OS, then you can take a complete database export and import it on your target machine. You will have to create a minimal database on the target machine. It will create the tablespaces, users/schema, objects etc for you.

Regards,
Denny

In article <7m5c2g$fqf$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   jchernia9012_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a recent Oracle immigrant, and the way I think about it is that an
> instance in Oracle is like a database in Sybase. You can have multiple
> Oracle instances running on the same TCP/IP port. Instead of "use
<db>"
> devices. I'm not sure if there is an equivalent to segments (I didn't
> use segments in sybase, each DB got its own data device and log
device).

> One thing I haven't figured out is how to backup for distribution as
> cleanly as with Sybase. The import/export utility is messy, especially
> if the users are different on the database you want to import to. I'm
> looking for a way to completely transfer a database from one machine
> another. With Sybase you "dump database" and "load database", and as
> long as the destination has enough space everything transfers (table
> and user info). Is there a way to do this in Oracle by copying
> tablespace files and modifiying the init<intance>.ora file?
>
> Any help would be really appreciated,
> -John Cherniavsky

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Fri Jul 09 1999 - 14:22:08 CDT