Re: 2 gig limit?

From: <argosy22_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 16:34:33 GMT

Hi,

Thanks for your help.
The file size was indeed the problem.

It begins to make sense when you do the math for a 32 bit operating system:

2 ** 31 = 2,147,483,648
2 ** 32 = 4,294,967,296

The CPU must copy from one area to another, so, 2 ** 31 (approximately) would be the limit.

Otherwise, the byte locations, just couldn't be addressed. How would you address the 5 billionth byte, with only 32 bits?

So, if the OS could only handle 2 gigs, then any applications running on it, could also only handle 2 gigs. This would also apply to any of the Windows 32 bit operating systems.

Regards,

Argosy

In article <7l0k89$csm$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   argosy22_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We use:
> Oracle 7.3.4 on HP. Unix 10.20.
>
> We were having some problems yesterday with
> some export files. The people that we sent
> them to, could not successfully import them.
>
> I noticed that the file size was 2.55 billion bytes.
> 2 gigs is only 2.47 billion bytes.
>
> I seem to remember hearing about some 2 gig limits,
> which would explain why the import wouldn't work.
> Are these limits on the Unix side, or the HP side?
>
> Regards,
>
> Argosy

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Fri Jul 09 1999 - 11:34:33 CDT