Re: IO waits in SAP/Oracle

From: Kristiaan J. Kolk <akolk_at_gelrevision.nl>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 15:43:40 +0200

I think that this is simple:

  1. If you have idle cpu and you do I/Os, the wait time (or idle time) for the I/O is counted as waiting for I/O.
  2. So having WIO is not a bad thing, it means that you have plenty of CPU to spare.
  3. buffer cache hitratios are useless. In your case you should ask your self the question if you are happy with the overall performance of your systems (from an response time point of view). What counts is the speed of the I/O.
  4. What you can do is to upload an report.txt file (from bstat/estat) with timed_statistics = true to this site http://www.oraperf.com. It will show you the overall response time and wait time for your system.

Anjo.